Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Another day down

I arrived at the hospital today around 10:00am. Nate was sitting up and said "Hi Wife!" as soon as he saw me. He seemed so happy and looked so good. It was very encouraging.

The doctor was in and talked with me for awhile. I asked him several questions about why this happened and if it could happen again. He told me that they could not find any reason as to why it happened. There were no other issues that could have caused this to happen. Nate's grandparents on his mom's side both suffered from an aneurysm so they are saying it is probably genetics. I asked him if this made him more prone to it happening again and the doctor said no. He said he is at as much risk of it happening again as anyone else. He did say that we need to be more diligent in watching the signs and make sure to go to the ER if he ever gets a bad headache. He will always have his head scanned whenever he goes in to the ER from now.

I stayed at the hospital with him for awhile and then left so he could get some rest. I went and got some lunch and got some pictures of the kids printed to hang in his room. When I got back it seemed like his mood had changed. He seemed sad. I asked him if he was sad and he said he was just worried about his job and the money. I told him that is the last thing we need to worry about. I showed him the picture of the kids and I think it might have made him a little homesick. He misses them and wishes he could see them. (They advised us NOT to bring the kids to the ICU). I washed his face with a wash cloth and tried to clean him up a bit. My sister showed up with a smoothie for him and he enjoyed that. I left around 5pm to go home and spend some time with the kids.

I got back to the hospital around 9pm and his family was there. I went back in the room and he seemed to be in a better mood. He seemed ok about things and was happy that I brought his cell phone so he could check his email.

Things are looking up. He does have a little drooping in his smile on his left side but nothing that anyone would notice if they did not know him. He is unable to move his right eyebrow but they figure that is from all the swelling that is going on. The swelling is also causing his eye to swell shut a little.

They have done another angiogram and CT scan and and everything looks good so far. They have plans to do a perfusion test tomorrow morning which will check for any spasms of the vessels. Spasms of the vessel are what cause stroke and stroke like symptoms (slurred speech, loss of motor skills, memory etc.). We are hoping and praying that the test goes well and they do not find any signs of spasms.

We continue to ask for prayers and thoughts. We know that is why he is doing as well as he is. We know Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers and we are so thankful for the tender mercies that we have seen.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Stac I'm so happy to read this and hear he is doing that well! It really is a miracle. You are both in our prayers continually. Madi at breakfast this morning (on her own) - "and please bless Nate's brain to get better."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stac, thanks for the updates. One day at a time, and we hope today is a good day. Let us know if we can do anything for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,Thank you for your updates. We are thinking of you both and praying constantly for a full recovery for Nate. Give him our love and tell him not to worry about anything. Life will work out in his favor. God bless you for your love and support. You are both such a sweet couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates. I think of you guys a lot throughout the day, still sending our love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stace, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you and Nate. Hang in there, and know that you are in everyone's prayers continually. I am just so glad you and Nate are together and that he is making such good progress. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Nate are seriously my favorite couple. I love how he calls you wife, and you call him husband. Thanks for always being such good examples to us. I am glad Nate is doing well, and I love the picture of you two. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete