Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 7

Nate seemed to have a little bit of a rough day today. He was so uncomfortable and his back and hips are really starting to hurt him. The doctors and nurses are trying their very best to do what they can to help make him more comfortable. We have had fantastic nurses and doctors the entire time we have been at Valley and I know they truly do care about what they do.

He didn't get out of bed while I was there most of the afternoon. He tried to sleep but just couldn't get comfortable. I can't fully understand how he feels but I do know the times I was laying in bed after childbirth was uncomfortable and it got really hard to lay in those beds. I can not imagine how he feels. They had given him some Morphine to ease the pain and that seemed to help for awhile.

Doctor Ali (the ICU doctor) says his scan from yesterday looked good. He said there is still swelling
but it has decreased from the last scan so that is good. The speech therapist was in there with him today quizzing him on a few things and he seemed to do great. A little slow with his answers but nothing that alarmed her. She is saying that he will have some therapy after all of this, either in house or at a clinic. One of the exercises she was doing with him was reading three words to him and seeing if he could find what they had in common and give another example. She listed bumble bee, helicopter and blue jay and asked him what they had in common. He said they all fly. She then asked for him to give her one more thing that would fit into that category. I thought he would automatically say airplane but he sat there for awhile and then said...humming bird? We laughed and she was impressed that he thought of something so different.

We were able to take Zoee and Gus to see him tonight. They were getting anxious to see their dad
and Zoee was getting quite emotional about it. It brought tears to my eyes as I watched his face light
up when they walked into the room. I loved hearing them talk to him and I loved watching them kiss
his face. I think it lifted his spirits and it was the happiest I have seen him since all this began. He loves
his kids and I can not wait for him to be able to wrestle and play with them again.

2 comments:

  1. Stacy, you are mean. You had me tear up. I am so glad that he was finally able to see the two older kids. I have had lower back pain like that if they can get a physical therapist in there to maybe see if his hips are out of alignment that may help with the sciatic nerve. Prayers coming you way still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stac, I'm so thankful he is doing as well as he is. Truly it is a miracle. We continue to pray for you both! I love the hummingbird, that is great! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete