Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Roller coaster of emotions

What a day. I arrived at the hospital around 11:30 am today. I let Zoee sleep in because I knew she was tired and I know she is feeling the stress of everything. She slept until 10:30! The poor girl was exhausted. I dropped her off then went down. Nate was asleep when I got there. His mom told me he had spiked a fever around 9:30 that morning. They took him down for a scan and everything looked ok. Dr. Ali came and told me that his white blood count was down to 14.4 which is a big drop from yesterday which is good. The white blood count is how they can tell if the infection is still there. They said once it gets down to 11 then it is normal. His fever would break and we were happy then it would spike again. They are not really sure why. He was very lethargic all day today. It was a roller coaster of emotions.

Dr. Douds wanted to take the drain out today with the possibility of having to put another one in but the tube actually fell out on its own. I would like to think it is his bodys way of saying, ok...i am done with this. I don't think that's the case though. Dr. Douds did come in and took the stitches out of the incision and had to put a few stitches in where the drain had been.

So where do we go from here? They will do another scan tomorrow to check for spasms and the fluid level; at that point they will either have to put another drain in for a few more days to see if the drainage will control itself, they will have to put a permanent shunt in his brain which will always drain the fluid for the rest of his life or they will find that everything looks ok and he can be moved to another room with hopes of coming home soon. We obviously want the third option but know they need to do what is best for him. Keep your fingers crossed and pray, pray, pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment