Thursday, November 17, 2011

What I have learned...

It has been one month, today, that Nate had brain surgery. I would have never imagined that my life would include something like this. I have been changed as a person, a wife, a mother and as a member of the church. This entire experience has made me want to be a better person. I look at people differently now. I hope that I can continue to use this experience for the best and continue to learn from it. I feel if I let this experience pass and not let it change me then I have let many valuable lessons go to waste and I do not want that to happen.

I learned new things everyday. Some were good and some were bad. Some were easy and some were hard. I kept track of things that I learned and want to share some of them on the blog.

-People care. I was more than amazed and what people did for us. From the moment Nate and I arrived at Valley Hospital, we had people calling, texting and checking in on us to make sure we were ok. There are a lot of good good people in this world.

-You some how find the strength to carry on even when you don't think you can. I was surprised by how I was able to carry on even when I didn't think I could physically or emotionally. The strength just seemed to always be there.

-It is possible to miss someone even if you are sitting right next to them. I learned this because I sat next to my husband everyday, sometimes all day but I felt so lonely and missed him terribly.

-Pray works. I think this is why I was able to continue on everyday. I felt the strength of every ones prayers and they are what got me through. I know everyone prayed for Nate to be ok and I truly believe it helped.

-Valley hospital has a really delicious cafe. The beets on the salad bar are yummy and the onion rings are so good!

-It is possible to love complete strangers. I found myself feeling so much love for the doctors and nurses that helped Nate. I didn't know these people, they didn't know us but they cared about us and I love them for that.

-It is ok to cry. It really is and it is ok to cry hard. You can't always be happy and that is ok.

-Bathroom stalls are really great places to cry. Get it all out, pull yourself together and get back out there.

-You have 2 options...turn against the Lord or turn to Him. I was told this once by a bishop of mine and I have always used it in situations. This was no different. I knew I needed the Lord and could not get angry towards him.

-Family is everything. Enough said.

-It is ok to tell the doctors to speak to you in a way you will understand. There were a few times the doctors would come in and ramble something off in doctor terms and I would simply say, ok, now can you please explain that in a way I will understand. They are nice and understand.

-Technology and modern medicine is amazing. What a blessing to have such amazing doctors and nurses that do what they do. They literally went in to Nate's brain, opened it up and saved his life. How awesome is that!?

-It's ok to take a break from the hospital. Sitting in the hospital everyday gets hard. It is ok to say you need a break and go home.

-Parking at Valley hospital sucks if you get there after 10:00am.

-The power of the priesthood is real and I am SO thankful for it.

-Heavenly Father loves us even when times are tough. Never ever forget that.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post Stac! I can't believe it has been a month. How crazy that you have been through all of this. I could not agree more with the things you said, it is so true. No matter if the trial is a death or a situation like Nate's, you can find strength through Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. And people definitely either cling to the gospel or turn away from it! I am so thankful that I have clung to it, it makes me sad for the people who don't. I definitely know you guys were being watched over and blessed, it is a complete miracle that Nate made it through and it moving on! I'm so thankful he is doing so well, love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you wifey. I couldn't have made it this far without your love and support. You'right on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he loves us ESPECIALLY when times are tough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Stace. I love this post. I love you! My heart breaks to think of you sitting next to your husband in this condition. I think of you daily, with out fail. I think I always will.

    I'm sending you the biggest hug and thinking of the time we saw each other at Target- I'm so glad we saw each other that day. I look forward to seeing you again one day!

    Love,
    Bekah~

    ReplyDelete